Monday, October 27, 2008

Sleep when the baby sleeps.....yeah right

Ok so Ashton is finally asleep again. It is 3:15. He has been up since 8:30 this morning. I fed him, changed him, got him to sleep in my arms and then I put him down and.....he wakes up after like 15 minutes! I couldn't even get a cat nap in. So, he just kinda grunts for a couple of hours (his grunts mean: mom, put my binky back in...now!) After his grunts get more frequent and more demanding, I feel like maybe he's still hungry. We start the routine again....change diaper, nurse (takes forever because he keeps falling asleep but when I try to move him he wakes up and is ravenous), sleeping in my arms and BAM! He wakes up after 10 minutes. I put him down anyway, cover my head with a pillow so I can't hear him whining (which doesn't work because then I feel guilty) and try to get a quick nap in. My dear husband calls to see how I am doing (which really means he needs me to do something) and I tell him how his son refuses to sleep. He shares some advice with me (yeah right, like he knows): go for a drive or a long walk. Um, yeah did he not just hear me almost cry about how tired I am and want to sleep. Does he not realize how much of a process it is to take Ashton out (no because I always get his things ready). I have to get bottles ready in case he starts screaming his little head off and extra clothes because he sometimes leaks through his diapers, etc. It is not a "grab my bag and leave" process. And no I do not want to walk -AKA exert energy-when I have none.

The End

Oh wait, you may have asked yourself well he's asleep now why are you blogging about not being able to sleep??

I will tell you. Because I am not tired anymore. I got out of bed exhausted and am now wide awake while my little one is fast asleep. I want his job.

P.S. Lorin is a great dad. He can actually put Ashton to sleep in less than an hour. So, I probably should have listened to him but I was upset so in my mind he is wrong about everything and I won't listen to his advice because he is not a Mom!

8 comments:

Kate said...

ugh, hannah was exactly the same way. in fact, she still is. during the day, she can't sleep in her crib, because she wakes up as soon as i put her down and cries. the swing is one of the only things that will keep her asleep, and although i don't want to set a bad habit, sometimes you have to survive!!! does ashton have a swing, and does he like it? hannah hated it for her first month or so, but now it's a lifesaver. she usually falls asleep in the car, too, so sometimes just a little drive (without having to pack everything up) helps to put her to sleep. or sometimes i just hold her and we take a nap together on the couch.

i can totally relate, although i know that doesnt necessarily help! :) just remember that he won't be this age forever, and he will outgrow this stage.... even though it feels like forever!

and it's true, even the best hubbies have a hard time understanding how difficult it is! but mommies know. :)

Marissa said...

haha..this post made me laugh! sorry the lil guy won't sleep...also birds are not good at the sympathy, they will usually try and solve something...but sometimes i like to negate every idea steve has too!!!!

Karen Rich said...

laugh?! This made me want to cry for you... especially since I remember exactly how you're feeling! You know you're baby best (no matter what anyone says) but Brooke liked when I carried her in a wrap and my hands were free so I could do stuff... I'll be in Orem on Saturday, do you want me to lend you mine... he might hate it but it might be worth a shot... anything is when you're running on empty so to speak.

brenda and lorin said...

i may try that. i actually hve a wrap (thanks miss) but i cant figure out how to put him in it- like ive read the instructions but he fits funny.

Steve said...

that was a funny post. Thanks for the entertainment!

Kate said...

oh, that was a good point about the wrap. the baby bjorn works just about every time, and it's nice to have my hands free so i can get some stuff done. but i can't take a nap with her while she's in the baby bjorn! :) hannah and i had a day like this yesterday, and i was going crazy. i kept telling her to stop crying. poor kid! i just needed a nap soo bad, and she wouldn't stay asleep! is ashton doing better sleeping at night so you can get some rest, or is he still mixed up?

Nadia said...

So sorry to hear this. Hang in there. I just posted about the lack of sleep I had when E was a newborn. It get's better. You should buy a sleeping mask and use it to nap during the day, it really helps!

Julia Warren said...

ahhh weeness! hang in there my love